2019 Bright Star Summer Camp and Enrichment Program
Once again we have the Honor of hosting our Summer Camp and Enrichment Program at Bright Star Youth Center which addresses the needs of at risk youth from low-income families or any child between the ages of 5 through 15 in the West End and Cincinnati area. We accomplish this by providing nutritional meals, physical activity and educational enrichment opportunities. Last Summer we were the #1 Awarded Top Performing Summer Camp site in the City of Cincinnati.
We have age appropriate enrichment programming and in addition to enrichment activities we welcome and feed any child that is present for breakfast and lunch. The Summer Enrichment Program will provide approximately 4,950 meals during the program.
Our 9 week program will start on Monday June 3, 2019 and end on Saturday August 3, 2019, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am till 4:00 pm.
The program enriches math, reading skills, physical fitness, and moral values through:
- classroom instruction
- fun field trips to attractions like Stricker Grove, the Cincinnati Children’s Museum , Fun to be Fit Day, and more
- Motivational Afternoon talks by sport professionals and business owners
SUMMER CAMP PROGRAMS:
R.E.A.C.H. W.O.R.K.S. PROGRAM: – Teaches campers positive attributes and keeps camp moral high throughout camp.
- REACH Value are discussed at the beginning of the week
- Every Friday REACH Awards are given to two students per class that demonstrated the REACH Value of the week, the BEST! Voted on by Counselors in that class.
- Campers win gift cards, prizes, and much more!
ACADEMIC POWER PROGRAM (APP): – The purpose of the APP program is to enrich and encourage our summer campers to stay sharp in their academic skills throughout the summer.
- “APP Hours” – One hour of Reading & Math instruction CAMP WIDE
EATING HEALTHY PROGRAM: – Our “Eating Healthy” Program is designed to encourage students to eat healthy throughout the summer by introducing fun facts about fruits and vegetables to them every week.
- Camp Counselors to cater activities during “Activity Time” around the Eating Healthy Program
- “Fun Zones” are designated areas and times which allow campers to enjoy the facility and play with their friends (playground, video games, board games, etc.)
Center Culture & Classroom Management
- Show the LOVE of Christ daily!
- “Reading the behavior backwards” – Not only analyze WHAT they’re doing, but WHY they’re doing it.
- Interactive activities that challenge students to develop their moral character through engaging Biblical Truths.
2019 SUMMER FIELD TRIPS
- Friday, June 14th – Cincinnati Children’s Museum, Cincinnati, OH
- Monday, June 24th – June 28th – Camp Cedine for Teenagers
- Wednesday, July 10th – Stricker’s Grove
- Friday, July 12th – Fun to be Fit Day (Sports Plus)
- Friday, July 19th – Kid’s Expo (Winton Woods)
- Friday, July 26th – Coney Island
- Friday, Aug. 2nd -3rd – Youth Retreat (New Covenant)
“If the kids are not having fun, we are not doing our jobs”
Brian Strayhorn, Camp Director